Friday, September 18, 2009

A Rosh Hashana message

"I Am A Strange Loop" is a book written by the notable physicist, Doug Hofstadter. Because his first wife died at an early age and his children were only 2 and 5, he worried about what they would remember of their mommy. After much reading,reasoning and philosophizing, Hofstadter realized that we need not worry what happens to us after death. What we do in our lifetimes influences each person we have a relationship with. Our souls become, at once, connected to theirs. When one soul touches another soul, that 1st soul doesn't die. It is housed in the many brains that it enters. We get in each others heads and stay there. So many times I worry that if I pass on early what will my grandchildren remember of me? Upon hearing this explanation tonight at Rosh Hashanah services by my rabbi, Arnie Rachlis, I was comforted by the reasoning that my soul, as well as others', will continue to shape the thoughts and ways of my children and grandchildren. It is not important whether my soul goes to heaven; but it is important to me that part of me will reside and influence the thinking of those who follow me. And so it is important that what we do and make of our lives, will not be forgotten by our loved ones. Shana tova.

1 comment:

Susie Lubell said...

they'll always have KABOOM. shanah tovah ma